Friday, June 25, 2010

World Cup

First of all, congratulations to Jason and Lindsey (if they read this). I unfortunately couldn't make it the wedding, but I'm sure everyone is having a great time in New York.

I've been pretty exhausted the past few weeks because I stayed up all night the last two Saturdays to watch the World Cup. It remains a strong possibility that I'll stay up all night tonight as well to watch the Ghana US game. At least this time I'll stay in my own apartment to watch it.

The first game I stayed out for was the US England game. We went to The Hub, an English pub in Kyoto, fairly early (around 7:15) to watch the Greece/South Korea game that started at 8:30. The bar quickly became packed with South Korea fans, including one very loud woman who would wave a flag from the second floor at any opportunity:



A lot of people left after South Korea won, but almost everyone left by 1 when the Argentina/Nigeria game finished. We stayed until the US/England game started at 27:30 (Japan does military time a lot of places for some reason, apparently 27:30 is a time):



The bar filled up again with mostly Americans about 15 minutes before the game started. I was at a table with about half English and half Americans. There was a lot of taunting back and forth. When England scored their goal my friend Bob stood up on his stool, took off his England Jersey and waved it above his head. Incidentally, when Bob tried to watch another England game at the same bar they said they weren't showing it. At the English pub that advertises they're showing every world cup game.

So the following week we went to the Pig and Whistle, another English bar not far from the Hub. This was for the Japan Netherlands game. We expected pretty much everywhere to be packed and charging cover, which was exactly the case here. It cost 3000 yen (about $30), but it came with 3 drink tickets and one food or drink ticket, which is actually really good for a Japanese bar. At some point a few people convinced me to stay out all night. Here's some pictures:





This is a blinking Zima badge that I acquired during the Japan/Netherlands game:

No comments:

Post a Comment