Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pan-kun

Japanese TV can be pretty different from anything I'm used to in the US. There are some dramas and kids shows, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like a sitcom. Most of the shows I see have a bunch of people (who are apparently celebrities, though none stand out to me) sitting around watching videos clips based on some kind of theme. Usually they show the clip on the TV and people's reactions in a small box on the side. Most clips are easy to understand even if don't know Japanese. A lot of Japanese humor is slapstick or puns; a lot of people I've met don't really get sarcasm or irony.

Anyway, one show sometimes features a chimpanzee, Pan-kun, and his dog James performing everyday tasks. It's pretty funny and I don't think knowing Japanese adds a whole lot to it.

Here Pan-kun and James are crossing a river. Later, as Pan-kun is getting water for James, he encounters something dangerous. Finally, Pan-kun takes the train home.

3 comments:

  1. Those are fantastic. I cannot wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very entertaining. Are they on TV daily?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't watch a lot of TV, but there are a lot of similar shows. The oddest was a show like this (a panel of celebrities watching funny things) that transitioned into a political discussion about the US military in Japan with professors and other experts, but some celebrities stayed and talked to. The whole thing was moderated by Beat Takeshi, who is referred to as a comedian but apparently does everything. (If you ever seen MXC on spike TV, it's actually Takeshi's Castle with Beat headlining)

    ReplyDelete