Monday, May 10, 2010

Hidden Fox Shrine

Just off one of the main roads in my town are some torii, or wooden gateways used in Shrines. They look like this:



Though I've seen these gates many times, I never bothered to go up there until recently. The gates are on top of an old concrete sloped wall like many that considered off-limits. In fact, this one is from October 1941 (I think). This stone was near the site. It says "Showa 16, October". Showa is the posthumous name for Hirohito and his reign was from 1925-1989, so Showa 16 would be 1941:


At the top I was surprised to see a surprising new and well maintained shrine. There doesn't seem to be any access to this area except for an old walkway that is being encroached upon by plants. Nevertheless, a pretty clean shrine was sitting up at the top:


The reason I call it Hidden Fox Shrine is because I don't know what it is properly called and there were two statues of foxes in the largest building:


This little mountain was a fairly steep climb up, so it offered a good view of at least parts of Sonobe:



I think these photos make Sonobe look a lot bigger than it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment