Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Stolen" Laundry

I came home today to find a crudely written letter in my mailbox. The paper itself looks like it was torn off a larger envelop. I couldn’t make out everything it said, but there was something about my sheets which I put out to dry this morning before going to school. My neighbor had apparently picked up a sheet that blew off the line and was holding on to it at her house.

I went to the grocery store before I stopped at her house, but half way there I started getting strange looks from a women across the parking lot. It turns out she was my neighbor and had my sheet. I said I would stop by in a few minutes when I was done shopping.

After ringing her doorbell I identified myself as “the person who has a sheet” and she came to the door. What I failed to understand in the letter was subsequently explained to me. My sheet had not been blown off the line, but was apparently hanging precariously enough that she decided to take it down herself before it got knocked into the dirty rain gutter lining the street. I imagine it was partially over the wall separating my “backyard” with the street. She hung it at her place instead so I could pick it up clean and dry later. A little odd, but nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment